My name is Nancy Ann Norem Powell (NAPmath) and I love teaching. I was a secondary math teacher for 37 years. I helped build a micro computer (NorthStar) from scratch in the late 1970’s and taught programming way back in the 1980’s with Radio Shack model I’s that (networked???) shared a cassette recorder for storage. (Can you imagine? I wouldn’t want to go back!!!) I guess I always embraced technology and never worried that I didn’t know more than my students. We always learned together – maybe I was a day ahead!
My mom was a kindergarten teacher and she helped me realize how important hands-on activities were for students. Active students doing math, talking math, and discovering all the different ways to use math provided the energy and excitement in my classroom. I retired from my high school in June, 2010, but I still teach. I work with pre-service teachers and student teachers. I share ideas and resources in workshops and seminars for teachers.
If I find a good resource, I’ll share it. If I come up with good lessons, I’ll share them. Please join me and share your ideas and resources here too!
Follow me on Twitter @NAPmath and enjoy these additional resources:
- NAPmath – http://NAPmath.wordpress.com – this is my blog. I write when I have something to say/share.
- Green Apples – http://GreenApples.wikispaces.com – a website full of resources for new MATH teachers (and veterans). Join the wiki and contribute to the pages. I use it with new teachers in my department and pre-service teachers. Teachers that helped developed the site include Nationally Board Certified in Math, Presidential Awardees in Math Teaching, state and local teaching awards, and most important, they are successful in the classroom.
- GeometryGems – http://geometrygems.wikispaces.com/ – this site is dedicated to all things Geometry including activities, projects, SMART board files, paper folding, common core, and more.
- SmartBoardSmarty – http://SmartBoardSmarty.wikispaces.com – If you have a SMART board in your classroom, go here and download free Math Notebook files, get step-by-step directions, tutorials, updates on SMART, resources, and lots more.
- ActivInspireAdventures – http://ActivInspireAdventures.wikispaces.com – If you have a Promethean board in your classroom, check this site for resources, tutorials, free downloads, and more.
- Pinterest – http://www.pinterest.com/napmath/ – find links to Math sites, math blogs, math journal and foldables, technology, iPad (and other Apple problems) resources, activities for QR codes, SMART/Promethean/Interactive white board resources, assessment and much more.
- Resource Garden – http://resourcegarden.wikispaces.com/Planted+Gardens – need to find resources for graphics, sign and fancy Word Generators, photos, sounds, music, videos, flash/java, and free ways to edit sound, video, and graphics? This site has great links, copyright information, and lots more.